UK News

Man, 98, fighting for life after robbery in north London home

Peter GouldstoneImage copyright Met Police
Image caption Peter Gouldstone is being treated in hospital after sustaining bruising and a head injury

A 98-year-old man is fighting for his life after he was attacked and robbed in his home.

Peter Gouldstone was found with bruising and a head injury at a house in Evesham Road, in the Bounds Green area of north London, on Tuesday.

His son Simon said he “feared the worst” when he found his beaten father in a “semi-conscious state”.

The Met Police described it as a “brutal and senseless” attack. No arrests have been made.

Simon Gouldstone said his father was house-bound and suffers from a heart condition.

He described him as “a low key, peaceful and supportive sort of person” who lived in “a fairly peaceful neighbourhood.”

Image copyright PA
Image caption The 98-year-old was found seriously injured in his home in Evesham Road

Pio Gomes, 78, a neighbour of Mr Gouldstone, said he rarely saw the pensioner outside his home since his wife died several years ago.

“I used to take his bins out for him because he wasn’t steady,” he said.

“Of course it affects you because it’s worrying. It’s callous. Who could have done this to an old man like him?”

One elderly woman, who did not want to be named, said she rang Mr Gouldstone’s son after noticing his garage door was open, which was “unusual”.

She said: “His son came and then police and an ambulance were here until it was dark.

“I’ve known him for many years and he has a charming family. It’s not nice.”

Image copyright PA
Image caption A police cordon was set up in the alleyway behind the row of terraced houses

During a search of Mr Gouldstone’s home, police officers found a television and other personal belongings had been taken.

Det Insp Paul Ridley said his bedroom had been “ransacked”.

“It was an absolutely horrendous attack on a vulnerable man who has medical conditions,” he said.

“The level of violence used was beyond belief.”

Mr Gouldstone spoke to a family member by phone on 5 November at 14:00 GMT – police believe the attack took place in the 20-hour window between then and when he was found.

Mr Gouldstone remains in a life-threatening condition at an east London hospital.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *